We all love sharing files through the Google Drive to others indeed . So it might be possible that you hit the ‘Download quota exceeded for this file’ error sooner or later with any of your shared viral content online . What to do next ?
In this post we will explore the fruitful steps to fix the ‘Download quota exceeded‘ error in Google drive easily with just few clicks . Before that we further have a glimpse of the exact issue (root cause) , such that we will be extra cautious in the near future before sharing any video content or a big sized files through G-drive .
If you want to jump directly to the actionable steps , then you are free to do so by going to the next section for the steps quickly . But still it is recommended to have the overview of this issue , to prevent such problematic encounters again in the future .
Download Quota Exceeded For This File Error In Google Drive – What Exactly This Error Is All About ?
Google drive basically a file storage and sharing tool . So as we mentioned that Google drive can be used for file sharing , don’t be misled with the fact that Google drive is a file hosting platform by any means .
This simply means that you should not share a big sized ‘Video’ content that would go viral anytime soon , as it will be shared by the users further . So whenever a file got shared and the users starts downloading a file from the Google drive , this in turn overload the Google servers with the large number of download request at once .
Moreover , the principal of data sharing from the Google drive is for the collaboration purposes which mainly includes the creation and modification of data such as documents, surveys, spreadsheets and any such documents.
You may even use another proprietary Google product i.e. YouTube for video sharing anyways (by sharing the link) .But if you want to share any personal downloadable content to others , then you may consider some other file sharing options .
So the probability of getting the ‘Download quota exceeded for this file‘ error precisely depend upon several factors i.e. how big is the file and is it some kind of media/video file that might be played? How many people have you shared the link with and was it a public for all link or a link specific to each person? just remember that each play/preview also counts as a download (whenever you play any video before downloading)
The exact count for any of the above mentioned factors is not yet revealed by Google (for limiting the abuse of G drive indeed) . So there is a restriction on the download limit for any shared content on the Google drive platform . Normally this quota gets refreshed after every 24 hours .
Note : Always remember that as the downloads increasing , it will certainly consume proportional amount of bandwidth . So the ‘Quota exceeded error‘ is nothing but the only option for Google to provide equal share of bandwidth to all its users . (Isn’t it ?)
How to Fix the ‘Download Quota Exceeded For This File’ Error In Google Drive ? (In Desktop)
It is really frustrating to see the error of ‘Download quota exceeded‘ while downloading some useful (viral) content from the shared G-drive link . So with the below steps you can easily be able to bypass the ‘Download quota exceeded error’ easily .
There are two types of ‘Quota Exceeded’ commonly seen error i.e.
- A file is shared within your Google drive i.e. you can access the file within your drive
- A link is shared with your and on clicking the link , it is expected that the download will start right away .(the most common type)
Note : Make sure that you already have enough space left in your Google Drive folder to accommodate the additional storage that the new file gonna consume .
Now here we will see the fix for the first type i.e. the content fie is already shared by someone and you can access it inside your Google drive account . Follow the below steps to fix the ‘Quota exceeded‘ issue :
1. Sign in to your Google Drive account here with correct credentials
2. Then access the file that you to download , right click then click on download
3. If you see the ‘Download quota exceeded for this file‘ error at the bottom left corner of the screen , then
4. Click on the three dots at the top right corner and select the option ‘Add to Starred’
5. Now click on the ‘Starred‘ option on the left side
6. Then you can view the file in the starred screen as shown below
7. Right click on the file , select the option ‘Make a copy‘
8. Now it will create a copy of the same file in the starred screen as shown below
9. Now again right click on the original file , then select the option ‘Remove from Starred‘
10. Right click on the copy file , then click on the download option
11. Then you can see a security pop up, just click on the option ‘Download Anyway‘ , finally it will start downloading the file . You can see the progress at the bottom left corner .
Now once you download the copy file using the above steps , just go ahead and rename the file (if you want to keep it as similar to that of the original file) . In the next section we will see the steps for the mobile version of this error .
How to solve the ‘Download Quota Exceeded For This File’ Error In Google Drive ? (In Mobile)
The steps in mobile is too fairly same and simple . Sometimes when we try to download in mobile , then also we can get the ‘Download quota exceeded for this file‘ error . No need to get disappoint anymore . Just follow the below steps :
1. Just open the shared Google drive link (provided you already signed in your G-drive account)
2. Then you can see the error as below
Note : Don’t use the Google drive app for this , do all the things in Chrome browser itself . Go to settings and change the mode to ‘Desktop mode‘ , then you can see the desktop screen in your mobile . Follow the steps as below :
Tap on three dots (menu) —-> Desktop Site
3. Now tap on the option ‘Add to Google drive‘
4. Now once you added the file in your drive , just tap and open the ‘My drive‘ option (open in the chrome browser i.e. drive.google.com)
5. Tap on the file present in your ‘My Drive‘ , once you tap it then you can see the three dots menu option at the top
6. Tap on ‘Make a copy‘ ,then the copy file will be visible below
7. Select the copy file and tap on the option ‘download‘ , finally the file will start the downloading process .
Now you can just remove the original file and can now able to share the new file (copy of the original)
Download Quota Exceeded in Google Drive -Steps To Fix This When You get The Download Quota Restriction Message ?
This is the second and most common issue with the Quota exceeded error . In this type , simply a shared link is given to you and you just click on it to view/access the contents of that shared link . Then you view the message as below .
Till now we have seen the steps you need to follow when the file is already can be accessed inside your Google Drive . Now we will see one new used case wherein you can not able to access the file inside your Google drive .
Once you click on the shared drive link , all of a sudden you then view the download restriction message . Now to fix this just follow the below steps :
1. Now as you see the download restriction message , there is no way to add the content to your ‘My Drive’
2. Now we need to edit the url as shown below
3. Now in the url you need to replace the part after https://drive.google.com/
i.e. replace the part /uc?id with /open?id (keep all other text as it is in the url and then again hit Enter)
In place of ‘uc‘ , you have to put ‘open‘ and just keep the other contents as it is .
4. Now if you hit enter , then you can see the Google drive screen , where there is the icon for ‘My drive’
5. Once you click on the ‘My drive‘ icon , the file content will get added to your Google drive account .
Now you just need to follow the steps mentioned in the above section .
How To Solve The Error Creating Copy Google Drive Issue – A Simple Fix !!
Many times the above steps will work fine but while you create a copy file , the issue comes in .So when we want to create a copy of any file type in our Google drive , we need to keep in mind few things that are worth mentioning here . Just follow the steps given below to fix the error creating copy in Google drive :
1. Go to the file which you want to download/copy
2. Now right click on the file , then select the option ‘Make a Copy‘
3. So now you can see an error message stating ‘Error creating copy of (the file name)‘ at the bottom left corner
4. So now you need to check the file size that you want to copy in your drive .
5. Once you check the file size of the file that you want as the copy file , now it’s time to check the available storage in your Google drive .
6. Surely the available space is less than the file size . So in the nutshell , we can say that the issue while creating a copy mainly comes in due to less storage space in our drive .
7. Now to delete some unwanted storage space , delete some files from the ‘Bin‘ or just go ahead and delete some folder items that are no longer required
8. Once deleted , again try to create a copy . Now hopefully you should be able to download the copy file .
Hope you really get some help from the above mentioned steps . Stay tuned for more interesting stuff in this series .