Skype is indeed a very popular and a really useful communication app . You can use Skype to send text messages , or to share screen and much more . It might be possible that you don’t like the Skype app to open up instantly on start of your Windows 10 PC . It is very normal trust me (even i do :-p) . So this post mainly deals with the steps to stop Skype from starting automatically Windows 10 PC .
Now it is also a fact that the Skype app being a Microsoft product , comes pre loaded in your Windows 10 PC . So since Microsoft want you to use this feature rich communication service , it further make it feasible to you by launching the Skype app automatically in the start .
But it is completely normal if you don’t want to use it ,or just don’t want it to auto start as you start your Windows OS system . You rightfully have option to disable this Skype auto start feature in your PC anytime .
Without wasting any further time let us dive into the detailed steps to stop Skype starting automatically in the Windows 10 and 7 devices . Also later we will explore the steps to stop Skype from launching at the start in Mac and Android device . Just sit back and read further .
How To Stop Skype From Starting Automatically In Windows 10 PC ?
This feature is really frustrating for many of us from the fact that a communication app is always running (in the background) and it’s behavior of automatically launching in the start (without our permission precisely) .
Let us now explore the steps to solve this frustrating issue right away in any Windows 10 OS computer :
1. In your Windows system , you can see the windows icon at the left bottom corner of your screen . Right click on the ‘Windows icon‘ (or search by ‘Settings’ in the search bar at the bottom)
2. Click on the ‘Settings‘ option in the list of options
3. Now in the ‘Settings‘ screen , click on the option ‘Privacy‘
4. Now in the next screen , click on the option ‘Background Apps‘ in the section of ‘App Permissions‘
5. Now in the next screen ‘Choose which apps can run in the Background‘ , search for the Skype app in the list of apps
6. Change the toggle option to ‘Off‘ , to disable the automatically stop the Skype to launch in the start .
7. Restart your Windows PC
With this option disabled , the Skype app will not be present in the notification tray either . It will be launched once you want to launch them intentionally .
Also you can stop Skype from launching automatically from the task manager as given below :
1. Launch the task manager
2. Go to the tab ‘Startup‘ , and search for the Skype app
3. Right click on the Skype app option and click on the ‘Disable‘ option present at the right bottom corner
Now it’s time to see the steps to stop launching Skype in the start in any Windows 7 PC .
How To Stop Skype From Starting Automatically In Windows 7 PC ?
Just follow the below steps to stop auto start of Skype in your Windows 7 OS computer , as given below :
Note : The below steps can be used to stop/configure any application that is starting initially in the beginning of starting your Windows OS system . So if you are using a Windows 8/7/XP OS ,then also the below steps should work .
1. Once you are inside your Windows system , launch the ‘Run‘ command window
2. Press two key together i.e. ‘Windows Key + R‘ or go to start menu and click on’Run’ option
3. In the run command window , type the command ‘msconfig‘ and click ‘OK‘
4. Now you can see the system configuration window . Here just go to the tab ‘Startup‘
5. Now this list will give you the list of all the programs that automatically start up as you start your Windows system
6. In the list search for ‘Skype‘ option and click on the checkbox to disable it .
Once you untick any program , that wouldn’t start when you initially launch your computer . So the Skype automatic launching issue will be fixed by now .
Note : You can even do his from the launching the task manager and then go to the startup tab as seen in the previous section .
How To Stop Skype From Starting Automatically In Any Mac OS System ?
So now if you are a Mac user ,the steps will be quite different than the Windows counterpart indeed . Don’t worry it is much easier here . Just follow the below steps :
1. In your Mac device just see the apps present in your Dock area at the bottom
2. If the app is present (Skype in this case) , just right click on the app and click the ‘Options’ menu
3. Now once you click on ‘Options‘ , then check the option ‘Open at login‘ . If it is checked ,it means that the app will launch at the login initially , if you don’t want it to be launched , just untick the option (to uncheck the option , just click on it)
4. Once you uncheck , the app will not launch automatically at the start
5. You can further go to the ‘System Preference’ option in the dock area or just do a ‘Spotlight search‘ and type in the text ‘System preference‘
6. Go to ‘Users & Groups‘ , select the user (mostly admin user)
7. Now click on the ‘Login Items‘ menu at the top
8. Now here you can see all the apps that launch at the start with the log into your Mac device
9. Just select/deselect the check boxes for the apps that you want/don’t want them to launch at the start initially .
How To Stop Skype From Starting Automatically In Any Android Device ?
In mobile also you can stop Skype from starting automatically in the beginning. So to disable the Skype auto start feature in any Android phone just follow the below steps :
1. Tap on the ‘Settings‘ app icon (gear shaped icon)
2. Scroll down and search for the option ‘Installed Apps‘
3. Now in the next screen you can view all the installed apps in your mobile . Here search for ‘Skype’
4. Now tap on the ‘Skype‘ app
5. Then search for the option ‘App permissions‘ in the next screen
6. Now here you can see the option ‘Autostart‘ , just disable the option
7. Then finally clear all data for the ‘Skype‘ app
Now you successfully disable the Skype autostart feature in your mobile itself . Just reboot your Android device , the Skype will not launch in the start .
The automatic startup programs gradually slows down your system and are undoubtedly the biggest reason for the extreme slowness and low battery life in your device (as they continuously run in the background consuming lot of CPU processing power)
Hope you really understand the steps to get rid of the automatic launch of the Skype application in your respective device . Stay tuned for more interesting stuff in this series .